Wednesday, January 24, 2007

A new family

I have to admit (and maybe I've admitted this once before)...I used to absolutely dread family sessions. Even after I had developed my own style, and steered away from the typical family photo, something wasn't right and I wasn't enjoying myself. I actually considered advertising that I only photographed children, no families. Man, I am so glad that I didn't go that path.

I vented my feelings to another wonderful photographer, who so generously advised me to keep trying until I found "it". Make it my goal to master the family portrait.

I was talking to one of my clients one day who so wisely commented on her picture, "I may cringe at the way I look, but my children love me and will someday be so glad that I loved them enough to take a picture with them." That, as Oprah would say, was my lightbulb moment!

I quit trying so hard. If you let them, a family will give you what you need for the perfect family photo all on their own. You just need to sit back and let it happen. The love will come searing through the camera lens without any hesitance. I can now say that family portraits are my absolute favorite thing to shoot, and relationship shots are my strength by far.

This is a wonderful new family that I just met, and their absolutely to-die-for new baby boy. I just can't tell you how sweet this little guy is. Newborn sessions normally take up to 2.5 hours, and I think we were done in 45 minutes (or maybe less!) He was expressive, calm, and just a joy to photograph. I hope you enjoy as much as I did.

No comments: